Community Program Artist
You are: an artist who wants to build community through artistic experiences, you love masks and puppets, you can write effectively, you are under 30 year of age, and we want to hear from you.
This position is as an artist and artist’s assistant. Your main function is to assist the Artistic Director in all aspects of the society’s activities, including program development and delivery, artistic and creative projects, organizational projects, community and volunteer events, writing and creation of program materials.
What is CAOS
CAOS (Calgary Animated Objects Society) is dedicated to the art of puppetry, mask, and animated objects. We create and present performances, films, events, and educational experiences via inclusive, community-building experiences. We are looking to hire two Community Program Artists to work with the Artistic Director to develop and deliver programming this summer.
Selection of Programs and Projects
- Studio, Organization of CAOS’s creative workspace
- Spirit of White Buffalo: Event coordination, mechanical aptitude, assembling and dismantling, interacting with public in concert with giant bison puppet on four-person bike.
- CAOS in the School: Hand puppet program material development.
- Who’s the Puppet Now?: Distribution and marketing of book of artist portraits.
- Lilly in the Lab: the creation of imagery and materials for giant inflatable artwork.
- Coding: Update and further development of Lilly in the Lab augmented reality AP
- Storytelling Project: Assistance with communication, research and development and of support materials and educational components.
- Mini Puppet Theatre: creation and performance of short interactive puppet play.
- Responsive programming: Coordination and delivery of fun, creative events and happenings that arise in response to opportunities from the community.
- Need a valid driver’s license. Access to a reliable car is a strong positive.
- Ability to travel.
- Bondable. Need police security clearance to work with kids.
- Learns easily.
- Able to work alone and in groups.
- Good at time management.
- Great with people.
- Event management.
- Program development.
- Sculpting, sewing.
- Entrepreneurial experience.
- Good at camping.
Due to the funding restrictions, please only apply if you are under 30 years of age.
(Apologies to interested artists over the age of 30. We know this policy is discriminatory, but our hands are tied by our funding agreement).
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Earliest Start Date: June 17, 2019
End Date: End of August 2019
Rate of Pay: $17 Hourly, 30 to 40 hours per.
Temporary, full-time days, some weekends, nights, evenings